December 10-14, 2018, during school hours
Need some new books and gift ideas for the holidays and winter? There are lots of gift ideas for adults and middle schoolers. Students and parents are welcome to check out the SRMS book fair in the Teacher Lounge during school hours that week!
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! To help make the book fair a success, please consider volunteering a little time to help out. Click here to sign up.
BOE is considering 9am middle school Start time
Here's what some SRMS parents voiced during our two SRMS PTA general membership meetings about the proposed shift in bell times for Middle School to 9am - 4pm and how it may negatively impact the education structure of the middle schools:
- have strong negative impacts on the before and after school clubs
- influence majority of all after school activities (not limited to sports, dance, religious ed, martial arts, homework clubs, etc...)
- may mean kids being dropped off in the dark due to being last tier in busing.
- any proposed change to bell times may impact teacher enrollment and retentions due to consequences on their families, commute etc.
- concern about before school care for working parents. (The kids aren't old enough to get on the bus themselves for dual working families where parents need to leave for work before the bus comes)
- concern about the ability for kids to complete homework, studying, as well as, participating in after school activities while trying to maintain a reasonable sleep schedule, esp with other children in the family.
- If money is being spent on moving school times for middle school to 9, what does that mean for academic/curriculum initiatives, such as NGSS in the middle school? Money available for the schools is finite.
As PTA, we encourage all parents to be part of this process as the BOE will be making a final decision soon regarding a 9am middle school time change as early as the 2019-20 school year.
Upcoming BOE meeting is open to public comments:
- December 10, 2018, 7:30pm, Town Annex
If you have any concerns or questions, regarding the proposed school times or any other issues, please email the RPS Board Of Education at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BOE is reading all emails to judge the public's interest in a topic. So, whether you are for or against 9 am start time, every email sent is important and counted.
Please have your voice heard!
Starting October 1, 2018, only PTA members will receive the weekly e-blasts. Register now to stay up-to-date with what's happening at SRMS!
If you are new to Membership Toolkit, follow the instructions below. If you already have a Membership Toolkit account with SRMS or another Ridgefield PTA, you can use the same account to log in here and then skip to step 5.
- Create your account by clicking here.
- On the right, select New User > Create Account, and follow the prompts.
- Click Verify my Email and then check your email for a link. The link expires in 2 hours. If you do not receive the email, check your spam folders.
- Verify your email.
- Log back in and finish the registration process: add your children and contact information, set your directory publish preferences.
- Once you've create an account, you can join the PTA, volunteer and purchase spirit wear.
- Communication! To subscribe to eblasts, newsletters and calendars, don't forget to update your E-Blast/Calendar subscriptions. It's only by creating an account that you can be included in the directory, class lists and E-blast list.
Don't forget to subscribe to the weekly PTA E-blasts.
- Thursday, December 13
- Friday, December 14
- Wednesday, December 19
- Thursday, December 20
- Tuesday, January 8
- Thursday, January 10
Show your school spirit everywhere you go. Click here to order your magnet today!
2hr/3hr delay times? How to pick up in the middle of the day? SRMS Handbook?
Shoot for the Stars Fundraiser
Supporting SRMS PTA is even easier!
Click here to order your SRMS yearbook.